Summerfield United Methodist Church in Bridgeport began as a mission from Washington Park Methodist Episcopal Church in Bridgeport. The Rev. W.W. Bowish, the pastor of Washington Park, held a meeting on January 1, 1871 to organize a Methodist Society on the east side of Bridgeport. The meeting was held in a vacant store on Barnum Ave., and Mr. George A. Parkington, who was studying for the ministry, asked to deliver the new society’s first sermon on January 15, 1871. Two weeks later the Sunday school was organized with 30 members, and soon prayer meetings and class meetings were being held in the vacant store. The society grew quickly, and on February 19, 1872, the society became Summerfield Methodist Episcopal Church, named after the circuit rider John Summerfield. Mr. Parkington was appointed as the first pastor.
The church building on Barnum Ave., begun in 1872, was dedicated on March 16, 1873. Because the church continued to grow and needed more space, in 1914 the search began for a site to build the present church and parsonage. These were completed in 1922-1923, and are the present church and parsonage on Ridgefield and Clermont Avenues.
In 1952 the Grant Street German Church merged with Summerfield. In 1982 Summerfield also received a few members from the Newfield Church when Newfield merged with Golden Hill. Summerfield, which began as a mission from another Methodist church, has always benefited from and shared in ministry and mission with the other local United Methodist Churches, and continues to be blessed by the Methodist connection. Summerfield United Methodist Church is one of the only two Methodist churches left in the city of Bridgeport. Summerfield continues to grow and welcomes new members from Bridgeport and the surrounding communities
We know that we are not a perfect Church, but we have placed our hands in the hands of a perfect God. "Therefore, if God is for us,who can be against us? "Thus, you will find us a diverse, multicultural, multiracial, multi-language group of believers, seeking to be Jesus' hands and feet here on earth. As a church, we believe in fulfilling the great commission of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In so doing these are some of the services we provide to the community at large